Olive oil isn’t just for cooking and salad dressing. There are tons of unusual uses for olive oil outside the kitchen. I’ve tried a few of these and they work well. It’s my favorite method to fix a squeaky door and free a zipper. Which is your favorite of these Unusual Uses for Olive Oil?
1. Make Furniture Polish – Olive oil is a great natural way to restore you wood furniture. Combine 2 parts Olive oil with 1 Part white vinegar in a spray bottle. I also like to do 2-3 drops of Lemon Essential Oil. Shake it up and spray on your furniture. Wipe clean with a cloth or paper towel.
2. Use As Cuticle Cream – Olive oil is a great moisturizer. Massage a few drops of olive oil into your cuticle area and around the nail. Your cuticles will stay moist and healthy and as an added bonus your nails will shine.
3. Fix a Squeaky Door – Add some olive oil to a spray bottle and give those squeaky hinges a quick spray. If you don’t have a spray bottle you can apply with a rag or cotton swab.
4. Use As Shaving Cream – If you run out of shaving cream or are looking for a more natural alternative, switch to live oil. It’s a great natural lubricant and will help your skin keep it’s moisture. Simply rub a little on your legs or face for a close shave.
5. Free a Zipper – If your favorite coat is our of commission thanks to a stuck zipper, just grab a cotton swab. Use it to dab a little olive oil along the teeth of zipper. You should be able to slowly ease the zipper down.
6. Makeup Remover – Dab a little olive oil on your eyes or other places you need it removed and wipe clean with a damp cloth. Another perk to using olive oil as a makeup remover is that it moisturizes your face at the same time!
7. Fight Dry Scalp – If the winter months leave you scalp dry and flaky, try massaging some olive oil into your scalp. I also like to add a drop of lavender essential oil to give it a light scent and extra soothing power. The olive oil will help moisturize your scalp and help you looking your best.
8. Clean Up Paint – If your hands are covered in paint from a project, use an olive oil and salt scrub to get the paint to come right off. You could also use sugar but I find salt actually works better. Not only will the paint come off but you’ll be left with soft, smooth hands!
9. Polish Your Shoes – Olive oil is a great leather conditioner. Grab a cloth and gently buff your shoes with olive oil.
10. Prevent Hairballs for Cats – Kind of gross but if your cat has a problem with hairballs, try feeding them 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of olive oil to help prevent hairballs. The olive oil will also give their coat a healthy, shiny look.
Have you tried andy of these Unusual Uses for Olive Oil? I’m excited to try the paint clean-up trick. That will be great for craft projects and things.
If you love Unusual Uses, don’t miss these posts with some of my other favorite tricks and tips!
- Unusual Uses for Aluminum Foil
- Unusual Uses for Salt
- Unusual Uses for Toothpaste
- Unusual Uses for Rice
- Unusual Uses for Nail Polish