For most people living in the South, cornbread is pretty much a staple at the dinner table. During the winter my husband thinks it’s impermissible to make chili without also making cornbread. Now, I love a good batch of Jalapeno Cornbread, but with two little kids in the house, that’s not an option for us right now. So instead I make this yummy, sweet cornbread recipe. I know, sweet cornbread is very uncharacteristically Texan but trust me it’s SO good!
I also think there is nothing better than cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet. Using a hot skillet helps distribute the heat more evenly. Plus the heat sears the cornbread batter and makes the sides golden and crispy. Yum! Cast iron skillets take cornbread to a whole new level. Regular pans just don’t compare.
This Sweet Cornbread recipe is a family favorite and my husband actually prefers this to any of my other cornbread recipes. It has just enough sugar to give it a hint of sweetness without being overly sweet. My boys beg for this recipe on a daily basis and always scarf their dinner down knowing a big fat piece is waiting for them.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon + ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round pan or skillet
- If using a cast iron skillet, put it in the oven while the oven preheats.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan or hot skillet
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. I find the time is closer to 20 minutes with a skillet and 25 with a regular pan.
- Optional: Once out of the oven, I like to take about a ⅛ tbsp pat of butter and rub it all over the top of the cornbread and let it melt in.
If you don’t already have a cast iron skillet, you need to get one. You’ll thank me later. Here’s a 10″ Lodge Pre-Seasoned Skillet for all of you cast iron newbies. If you already have a small skillet, consider adding a larger one to your collection. This is a 12″ Lodge Pre-Seasoned Skillet that has fabulous reviews and is a best seller. These pre-seasoned skillets are perfect since you don’t have to worry about seasoning it yourself. Also, be sure you grab one of these silicone hot handle skillet sleeves. Skillets can get hot and this little sleeve will help prevent you from burning yourself on the handle.