One of my favorite kids summer activities is making sidewalk chalk paint. It’s such a fun alternative to traditional chalk. Plus it’s super easy and inexpensive to whip up. You just need three ingredients which you probably already have: cornstarch, water and food coloring. I prefer to use squeeze bottles but you can use any kind of container you’d like. I usually grab mine off Amazon or from Michael’s in the baking aisle.
So many chalk paint recipes you see ask you to grind up chalk and mix it with water to make the paint. Who has time to grind up chalk? This is so much faster and easier. Here’s what you need:
- Food Coloring
- Squeeze Bottles or other container
- Add equal parts cornstarch and water to a squeeze bottle. I typically use 1/2 cup of each
- Shake until combined
- Add 10 drops of food coloring (more for brighter colors)
- Shake again
Once you have all your paints mixed, take them outside and play! you can just squirt on the ground and make cool designs or break out the paintbrushes and paint traditionally. If the cornstarch starts to settle, just shake it up again.
If you prefer to use containers, muffin tins work great. You can just squirt the paint into the cups and refill when they run low…or get knocked over. My boys always knock over the containers which is why we opt for the squeeze bottles!
- Twizzlers Twists Picture Frame
- 75 Ideas for Fantastic Summer Fun
- Corkboard Mousepad
- 14 Summer Reading Programs for Kids
- Zesty Ranch Goldfish Snack Mix