As a mom I know how hard it is to find healthy snacks and treats for kids. We work hard in our house to provide wholesome alternatives but my kids are just like yours. They flock to the junk food and get spoiled by snacks at grandma’s, birthday parties and other places. So I was super excited when Yoplait® asked me to partner with them and share a wholesome snack for kids. Using yogurt to create snacks and treats gives them such a rich, creamy texture and makes them seem more decadent. Personally I love to use Yoplait® Greek Yogurt because in addition to the creaminess, it packs a protein punch!
It gets hot down here in Texas in the summertime and ice cream is a frequent treat at our house. As a mom I’m always trying to find ice cream alternatives my kids will love but will still satisfy on a hot day. One of our favorites are these Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches.
I combine Yoplait® Greek Yogurt with fat free whipped topping to help with the consistency when it freezes. The whipped topping fluffs up the yogurt a bit so it’s not quite so dense. I find when you pop yogurt cups in the freezer, when they get hard that tend to be a little more icy than creamy. I find that by combining the yogurt with the whipped topping you get a creamier, more ice-cream like texture.
Greek yogurt tends to be a little tangy naturally so I just embrace the tang and make Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches! However you can use this same recipe as a base and make just about any variation you choose! Add some fresh fruit puree and make strawberry or blackberry sandwiches. You could also add a little mint extract and chocolate chips or crushed chocolate sandwich cookies to make the sandwiches more like your favorite ice cream flavor. When we do other flavors though, sometimes I end up adding up to a tablespoon of stevia or sugar to help sweeten it some.
In the recipe I suggest using foil to make sure the filling stays on top of the crackers and doesn’t seep out. Foil is much more rigid than wax or parchment paper and does a much better job of keeping everything together. Also, I encourage you to let the filling sit in the freezer for about 45 minutes to thicken up. I usually stir it after about 20 minutes in the freezer and put it back in. If the mixture isn’t thick and spreadable, it will seep underneath the graham crackers and you’ll have a big mess on your hands. So trust me and let it thicken up. If you are patient with the freezer, theseKey Lime Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches are super simple to whip up and oh-so-delicious! Even my husband loves them!
- 1 cup Vanilla Yoplait® Greek Yogurt (8oz)
- 1½ cup Fat Free Whipped Topping
- 1½ Tablespoon Lime Juice
- Lime Zest (optional)
- Graham Cracker Squares
- *Note: 8oz is one and a half of the single serving cups.
- Stir yogurt, thawed fat free whipped topping and lime juice in a bowl until combined.
- Add lime zest (if desired)
- Put bowl in freezer and let mixture set for about 45 minutes.
- While the mixture is setting, line a pan with foil.
- Place 8 graham cracker squares in the bottom of the pan.
- Pull the sides of the foil up around the graham crackers so the filling will stay contained on top.
- After about 45 minutes, once the filling is thick and spreadable, place it on top of the graham cracker squares. Use an offset spatula to spread it evenly.
- Add 8 more graham crackers on top.
- Make sure the foil sides are secure to prevent the filling from seeping out. Place pan in freezer.
- Freeze until set. About 3-4 hours.
My kids gobble these up as after school snacks or after dinner treats. I love that by using yogurt and fat free whipped topping you virtually eliminate the fat and significantly reduce the sugar that is found in traditional ice cream sandwiches*. TheseKey Lime Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches made with Yoplait® Greek Yogurt are a snack you can actually feel good about giving your kids. Next time you are at Walmart, grab some Yoplait® Greek Yogurt and whip up a batch of these Key Lime Pie Ice Cream sandwiches!
*Traditional Ice Cream Sandwiches have approximately 166 calories, 6 grams of fat and 13 grams of sugar per the USDA.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Yoplait®. The opinions and text are all mine.