I love Sandwich Thins. I’m not a huge fan of bread you see. Well, give me a hot buttery roll any day but boring sandwich bread? No thank you. So when sandwich thins were invented I was one happy girl. Finally a thinner bread that isn’t a wrap for my sandwiches.
I bought them for years until I realized how easy it is to make Homemade Sandwich Thins. And they taste soooooo much better than store bought! These Honey Wheat Homemade Sandwich Thins are lightly sweet, full of whole grains and oh-so-soft. A must have for the perfect sandwich.
Now if you are hearing Homemade Sandwich Thins and thinking, “No way! That’s too hard!” Let me tell you it isn’t. If you can make a loaf of bread and a batch of cookies, you can make Homemade Sandwich Thins!
Just make the bread dough like you normally would. But instead of baking it as a loaf, you just take a couple extra (easy steps) to turn them into thins. Just separate the dough into balls and flatten the balls with your hand to make them thin. Once you bake them and they’ve cooled, use a bread knife to cut your Homemade Sandwich Thins in half. Here’s the full recipe:
- 2 ¼ cups Warm Water
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Yeast
- 2 ¾ cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tablespoons ground Flax Seed
- ¼ cup Honey
- 2 ¼ cups White Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a bowl, mix together 1 cup of warm water, flax seed, the sugar, the yeast, and ¾ cup of whole wheat flour. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add in the remaining flours, honey, and salt. Knead the batter well with your hands or with a stand mixer until dough becomes easy to handle. You may need to add more flour.
- Once all of the flour is incorporated and the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough in a warm area and cover it with a clean towel. Let it rise for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead a few times, divide the dough into 24 pieces and roll each into a small ball. Place on a greased or lined cookie sheet. Let the balls rest for a few minutes.
- Once the balls have rested, spray each of the tops with a little oil and use your hand to flatten. Prick the dough a few times with a fork or a toothpick. Sprinkle a few raw rolled oats on the top of the thins if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the thins are cooked through. Remove from the oven and cool. Store in the fridge or freezer until ready to use.
See? I told you homemade sandwich thins were easy! I even get my kids to help. They love to help roll the dough into balls and then flatten them out. And maybe it’s because they are still pretty little but they love to eat things they have made or helped made themselves. Plus, I’m always a big fan of making your own instead of buying from the store. This way you know what’s inside and you can control the ingredients.
If you love this recipe, be sure to check out my I ♥ Bread board on Pinterest. You’ll find all kinds of other bread recipes to satisfy your carb cravings. Sweet to savory and everything in between!