Everyone knows how much children love creative play, which is why this DIY is perfect for doing hours of exactly that. These DIY Monster Stick Puppets are a fun and frugal Halloween season craft that give your kids the chance to stretch their imaginations.
How? Because when they are done creating them they act as stick puppets for finger plays, puppet shows, and more. If you have just a few simple supplies, you have all you need for your own set of monster stick puppets. Take a peek below to see what a cinch they are to make. It truly will feel like some monster magic. A trip to the dollar store or craft store is all you need to find these inexpensive supplies.
- Craft/popsicle sticks
- Craft glue
- Googly eyes
- Green (or color of your choice) craft paint
- Paint brush
- Lay the sticks down on a piece of scrap paper to protect your crafting surface. Apply a coat of paint in the color of your choice. For our sample monsters, we used a bright green. However you can use whichever color appeals to you. Apply a second coat if needed and then plenty of dry time.
- Next, apply a generous amount of glue to the googly eye. Press the googly eye firmly to the stick and hold it into place. Be sure it is firmly secured before moving on.
- You can now add stitches, mouths, and other facial features with your marker. A permanent marker seems to work best. Get creative and have fun with this part. It is what will really give your little puppets character.
- Once your puppets are dry, it is time to start having some fun. Put up a sheet or towel as a blanket and have your own puppet show with your puppets being the star. Allow children to write their own scripts, make up fun voices, and develop fun story lines.
These monster stick puppets are so easy to make but can be used in so many ways. Should you get tired of using them as puppets, they also make a great bookmark or plant decoration. Either way, they are a fun and frugal craft you won’t want to skip on this Halloween season.
Don’t miss my other Halloween Craft for Kids: Make some cute Flower Pot Monsters!