Halloween time is the time when monsters roam about, but if you have little ones at home, that concept may be somewhat scary. That is why these DIY Flower Pot Monsters are the perfect Halloween craft for little hands, because it lets kids get creative with monsters in a not so frightening way.
Made from simple supplies you may already have around your home, these flower pot monsters can be made in just minutes. Take a look below at how to make your own flower pot pumpkin this Halloween season. You will find it to be frightfully…fun!
- Small terra cotta flower pot
- Assorted craft paints
- Paint brush
- Scrap construction paper
- Googly eyes
- Craft glue
- Pipe cleaners
- First, you want to apply a coat of paint to the flower pot. For our sample picture, we used green craft paint applied in two coats. Simply place the pot on some scrap paper to protect your surface and start painting. Apply a second coat if you wish for a deeper color.
- Once your surface is dry, you can start working on the face of the monster. For our sample picture, we used black scrap paper and created stitches on the face. You can add freckles, stitches, pink cheeks, designs, or any other embellishment you choose.
- Complete the face by using your craft glue to attach the googly eyes. Just add a generous dab of glue to the back of each eye and press it firmly to the pot. Hold until it is secure.
- Now it is time to create some hair. To do this you want to take your pipe cleaners (in a variety of colors or monotone, the choice is yours) and twist them in fun and funky ways. You can make corkscrews, zig zags, or any other fun shapes. Creativity is key.
- Insert the hair into the head by poking it through the drainage hole of the pot. Add a dab of glue to secure it if it seems to be slipping down too much into the hole.
That’s all there is to it! When you create these flower pot monsters you really have the chance to get creative and turn a simple flower pot into something frightfully fun and new. Give it a try and see what you can come up with.