Summer break is here and if you are like our family, you are counting down the days until your family vacation! However vacations finances can be a little tricky. Not only do you have to budget wisely but you also need to consider how to safely manage your money on the trip. It’s a juggling act to find that perfect balance of ease and accessibility while still managing risks.
I’m partnering with Visa Clear Prepaid to show you how a prepaid card like the Green Dot® Reloadable Prepaid Visa® Card can be a useful and secure alternative to cash and credit cards when you are traveling.
:: What is a Prepaid Card
A prepaid card carries benefits such as paying for purchases, withdrawing cash at an ATM, and purchasing tickets online. These cards are not credit cards. There is no credit check to purchase one. These cards do not help you establish credit, and you prepay your expenses by loading money onto the card.
I feel more secure traveling with a prepaid card than a credit or debit card, which is why I think they are essential for travel. These cards are protected by a PIN number and signature like a traditional card, however, they are not linked to your bank account.
:: Why Use a Prepaid Card for Traveling
Prepaid cards like the Green Dot® Reloadable Prepaid Visa® Card are great for budgeting. You load only the money you plan to spend to avoid going over budget. The Green Dot® Reloadable Prepaid Visa® Card can also automatically send you balance alerts via text or email. This is the perfect reminder when you are on vacation. You can stay on top of your spending with ease.
:: 8 Facts About Visa Clear Prepaid Cards
1. The Visa Clear Prepaid seal means cards are designed to have an easy-to-understand monthly fee plan that covers your day-to-day activities. So, you’ll know when you pay a fee and when you won’t.
2. Many of the fees are avoidable by requesting a card online, setting up direct deposit, using partner ATMs and meeting a transaction threshold each month. With less confusion around fees, the Green Dot® Reloadable Prepaid Visa® Card helps make time for what matters most.
3. You can load money almost anywhere. I purchased my Green Dot® Reloadable Prepaid Visa® Card at Walgreens but you can find them at other nationwide retailers like CVS, 7-Eleven, Kmart, Family Dollar, Dollar General, Rite Aid, and Walmart. Having locations almost everywhere means you can easily add more money to your card (for a small fee) if necessary.
4. You can load the card as many times as you’d like. One great option is to utilize direct deposit. You can link your Green Dot® Reloadable Prepaid Visa® Card to your paycheck and designate a portion of funds to go onto the card. This is a great way to set your vacation money aside each month.
5. With the Visa Clear Prepaid program, there are no overdrafts permitted. You can use the card confidently knowing you can never spend more money than you have.
6. When you purchase your Green Dot® Reloadable Prepaid Visa® Card at a participating retailer, you are buying a temporary card. Once you register your card online you can begin using it. You will also receive a personalized card in the mail in 7-10 business days. Your name will be printed on the front of the card. This personalization along with the PIN and signature I mentioned above makes the card safe and secure to use.
7. If your card is lost or stolen while you’re out having fun, don’t worry. Your Green Dot® Reloadable Prepaid Visa® Card funds are protected by Visa’s Zero Liability policy* and funds are insured by the FDIC.
8. When on vacation it might be helpful to have multiple cards. You can request an additional Green Dot® Reloadable Prepaid Visa® Cards and there is no additional monthly fee for the extra card.
Using the Green Dot® Reloadable Prepaid Visa® Card to budget and pay for your summer adventure makes it easy to manage your money, so the only thing you have to think about while you’re out is having fun.
With the Visa Clear Prepaid program, there’s less stress in choosing and using a Visa prepaid card. Cards meeting the Visa Clear Prepaid standards provide you with transparency and protection. Visit Visa.com/visaclearprepaid to find the Visa Clear Prepaid card that works for you.
*Visa’s Zero Liability Policy covers U.S.-issued cards and does not apply to certain commercial card transactions, or any transactions not processed by Visa. You must notify your financial institution immediately of any unauthorized use. For specific restrictions, limitations and other details, please consult your issuer.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Visa Clear Prepaid and Green Dot® Reloadable Prepaid Visa® Card.