Oh my goodness! These Black Forest Chocolate Chip Muffins are the ultimate breakfast treat. Chocolate muffins with chocolate chips for extra chocolaty-ness. That burst of cherry hidden in the middle. And you can send them truly over-the-top with a dusting of powdered sugar and chocolate drizzle. I mean seriously, does breakfast get any better than this?
So Black Forest Chocolate Chip Muffins might not be the best choice for everyday breakfast but when you need to take something to your MOPS meeting, PTO meeting or early morning office meeting, whip up a batch of these. They’ll steal the show. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – all the more reason to serve chocolate!
In the recipe below I have the step-by-step instructions for how to make the Black Forest Chocolate Chip Muffins from scratch. If you are pressed for time you can use a box of chocolate cake mix in lieu of making your own. However I think for this recipe, it’s worth the extra few minutes of time to make them from scratch.
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ cup mini Chocolate Chips
- ⅓ cup Oil
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Cherry Pie Filling
- In a large bowl, mix together the baking powder, flour, cocoa powder, and sugar.
- Whisk in the oil, milk, vanilla, and egg. Add in the chocolate chips last and stir until combined.
- Place half of the batter in the bottom of a cupcake paper lined muffin pan.
- Drop a small amount of cherry pie filling into each muffin tin and then cover with the remaining batter.
- Bake the muffins at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Top with a bit of powdered sugar and/or drizzle with your favorite chocolate sauce (optional)
Black Forest Chocolate Chip Muffins are definitely an impressive way to start the day. How could you not have an awesome day after enjoying one of these! Or if they are just too rich for you first thing in the morning, you can always opt to having them as an afternoon treat with some tea. And remember, they can always pull double duty and work as a dessert!
If you love these Black Forest Chocolate Chip Muffins, don’t miss the other muffin recipes I’ve shared. Choose healthier, low sugar options like these Pumpkin Muffins with Crumble Topping. Or continue to satisfy your chocolate craving with these Strawberry Chocolate Muffins.