Even if you don’t play tennis, you might want to grab a can of tennis balls next time you are at Target. Tennis Balls can be awesome off the court and around your house. Check out these fun uses. I’m a little skpetical of #7 but excited to try #3 and #8.
1. Use for Fabric Softener – Want fluffy towels? A green alternative to fabric softener is to toss a tennis ball or two into the dryer. Warning: this is a noisy alternative.
2. Save your Water Bill – Save money on your water bill and help the Earth while you’re at it! Place a tennis ball in the water tank of your toilet to reduce the amount of water used with each flush.
3. Remove Scuff Marks – Use a knife to cut a hole into the outside of a tennis ball. Place the opened ball over the handle end of a broom or mop. You can now use that end to remove scuffmarks from the floor.
4. Remove Broken Light Bulbs – When a light bulb breaks in the socket, use an old tennis ball to remove it. Remove the excess glass and then press the ball up into the socket to safely twist out the remainder.
5. Mark Garage Positions – Here’s one you’ve probably seen before but it works. Park your car in the garage where you like it. Hang a tennis ball from the ceiling so that the tennis ball touches eye level on your windshield. You can then pull the car in each day with confidence.
6. Improve your Stroke – Want to have a better breaststroke in the pool? Tuck one under your chin while you swim your laps. If you can keep the ball in place, you’ll have great form. This will be great practice for swim team kids this summer.
7. Sleep Positioner – Tired of your spouse’s snoring? Or are they tired of yours? Put a tennis ball down your shirt when you lie down. Tuck in your shirt to keep it in place. Every time you roll on your back, it will remind you to sleep on your side.
8. Keep the Change – Tennis balls make great change holders. Cut a slit big enough to reach in. Throw extra change inside the ball to keep it. It is a great place to keep money for tolls. Place the ball in a cup holder to have it handy.
9. Keep Your Pool Cleaner – Here’s a new one to me! Throw a ball or two into your swimming pool. The material helps absorb the natural oils that deposit from swimmers. Note: this does not replace the use of chemicals; it simply helps keep the pool cleaner.
10. Open Jars – Cut a tennis ball I half. Use the shell as a great grip to open jars and bottles.
What is your favorite unusual use for Tennis Balls? I’d love to hear more fabulous ideas!