Epsom Salt is one of those wonderful things that has a huge variety of uses and isn’t very expensive. I always have some on hand. We actually go through it quite often because there are so many unusual uses for Epsom Salt. It’s not just your grandma’s go to for tummy troubles, there are so many other great ways to use Epsom Salt!
Here are some of our favorite unusual uses for Epsom Salt throughout the home and garden.
1. Take a Bath – A warm bath with Epsom Salt is a terrific way to relax sore muscles. Pour a cup of the salts under the running water and settle in for a soak. Or mix them with your favorite essential oils to make it even more relaxing. Try these Eucalyptus Spearmint Bath Salts or the Lavender Bubbling Bath Salts for inspiration.
2. Soak Your Feet – Epsom Salt is a triple win for feet. Re-invigorate those tired toes by adding 2 tablespoons to your footbath. Use a little extra as a scrub to make heels soft and smooth. It fights athlete’s foot, too! These Peppermint Bath Salts would be the perfect soak for tired feet.
3. Use in the Laundry – One of my favorite homemade products is Laundry Scent Booster. I use epsom salt and essential oils to boost the scent in my laundry instead of brand-name, chemically laden ones.
4. Remove Splinters – Splinters can be painful but removing them doesn’t have to be! Draw the splinter out by soaking the affected area in warm water with Epsom salts.
5. Help Skin Irritations – Epsom Salt baths are also great remedies for skin irritations. Whether it’s a mild sunburn or a bug bite, a cup of salts in the bath eases discomfort.
6. Deter Slugs – Epsom Salt is well known for deterring slugs. Sprinkle a line along their path to keep them away from your garden.
7. Make Richer Soil – Before new plantings add a few bags of Epsom Salt with water to the patch. It can replenish the magnesium levels and make for a richer soil.
8. Super Pot Scrubber – Got pans with burnt on food? Use a ½ tablespoon of the salt as a scrub. Rinse well with warm water and your pans will be clean without having to soak overnight.
9. Hair Volumizer – This one is one of my favorites! Increase the volume of your hair by adding Epsom salt to a deep conditioner. Mix equal parts in a pan and warm. Leave on hair for 20 minutes. (Double check the temperature before using on your scalp.)
10 Relieve Itchy Skin – If you have itchy skin or are suffering from bug bites, try using Epsom Salt. Simply dissolve a tablespoon of epsom salt and mix with 1/2 cup of water. Wait for the mixture to cool and spray on skin or apply a wet compress.
What is your favorite unusual use for epsom salt? I’d love to hear more fabulous ideas!
Love these Unusual Uses for Epsom Salt? Be sure to check out some of the other Unusual Uses posts I’ve shared!
- Unusual Uses for Aluminum Foil
- Unusual Uses for Salt
- Unusual Uses for Toothpaste
- Unusual Uses for Rice
- Unusual Uses for Nail Polish