Aluminum foil does more than wrap up your favorite roast. It has dozens of uses; many outside the kitchen. Here are a few of my favorite unusual uses for aluminum.
1. Keep Pans Clean – Aluminum foil is an awesome way to keep pans and your oven clean. Just lay a layer in your baking pan to avoid juicy meat/chicken from sticking. Try a layer on the bottom rack of the oven to catch drippings.
2. Polish your silver – line a pan with aluminum foil and fill with cold water. Salt the water with about 2 teaspoons and then place your silverware in the solution. After about 2-3 minutes, rinse thoroughly and wipe clean.
3. Save your steel wools – I know I love to get my pots shiny but it seems as soon as I use one, it starts to rust. Worse yet, it gets all over the edge of the sink. After using your pad, place it on a slightly crumpled piece of foil. It will lengthen the life as well as avoid the mess.
4. Use it to Clean – On that note, you can use the foil itself to clean pots. Crumple and scrub!
5. Use as a Retraining Tool – Encourage pets to sit or scratch other places. If your pet has made a home on a couch or chair that you prefer he/she didn’t, cover the seat in foil for a few days. The sound irritates cats and dogs enough that it can be a great retraining tool. Wrap foil on seat legs to discourage scratching or biting.
6. Use in Your Dryer – Here’s a great laundry tip. If you run out of dryer sheets, ball up a slice of foil. Throw it in the dryer for static-free clothes.
7. Use Under Your Ironing Board – Place a piece of aluminum foil under your ironing board cover. When you press the iron on the fabric and the foil will reflect back the heat. This is especially good with pants and sleeves as it irons both sides at once!
8. Sharpen Scissors – Fold a piece of foil in half several times until it is 6-8 layers thick. Make cuts with a pair of dull scissors into the folded foil to sharpen the scissors.
9. Protect Door Knobs – Use them to protect doorknobs or hinges while painting. Much easier to remove than tape.
10. Protect Saplings – Outside, protect a sapling from small rodents by wrapping the base in foil.
What is your favorite unusual use for aluminum foil? I’d love to hear more fabulous ideas!