You’ve probably seen coconut oil in the news everywhere lately. It has so many great uses. I know many people use it in the kitchen. It’s amazing health benefits aren’t limited to cooking though. Some of my most favorite uses for coconut oil are outside the kitchen. Here are 10 ways to use coconut oil around your home.
1. Shaving Cream – Coconut oil can serve as a pretty fine substitute for shaving cream. Rub a small amount of coconut oil on your legs. Rinse the blade in-between strokes to remove the used oil or wipe the blade on a damp washcloth.
2. Leather Cleaner and Protector – Grab a clean cloth and work a small amount of coconut oil into leather shoes to moisturize them. This also work on leather jackets and even for conditioning car seats.
3. Oil For Wood Bowls and Boards – Coconut oil can serve as a great way to maintain your woodware properly. Just use it as you would any other wood treating oil; a fine, thorough rub into the wood. You can also mix it with a little lemon juice and use as a furniture polish on wood furniture.
4. Lubricant – Forget the WD-40. Coconut oil is a fabulous lubricant. Heat the coconut oil to it’s liquid state (over 76 degrees) and add it to a spray bottle. Spray your hinges or small motors until they don’t squeak anymore. And it you saw this and thought I meant that other kind of lubricant…well you can use coconut oil for that too.
5. Neosporin – Coconut oil can keep those minor scrapes from developing into an infection. Just dab a little of it over any cut, scrape, or scratch and slap a Band-Aid on top. This is an easy chemical-free alternative to store-bought Neosporin creams.
6. Deodorant – Coconut oil can also be used as deodorant. It is an extremely effective tool at combatting underarm odor. You can use it alone or combine equal parts coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch. Work them together until the paste is the same consistency as the stick kind. You can even store it in a used deodorant stick for easy application.
7. Moisturizer – Coconut oil is a nice, natural moisturizer that you can use on anything from dry elbows to chapped lips. Surprisingly it doesn’t leave an oily residue on your skin. Use it every day for baby soft skin.
8. Body Scrub – Bath scrubs can be so pricey at the store. You can make your own with coconut oil and other simple ingredients from your pantry. My absolute favorite is Brown Sugar and Honey Body Scrub. The sugar serves as a great exfoliant and the coconut oil helps moisturize. Everything you need at a fraction of the cost of brand name versions.
9. Athlete’s Foot – Coconut oil also works well at keeping Athlete’s Foot away. A quick massage of the stuff on your foot and you’ll be good for a while.
10. Remove labels – Coconut oil is great for removing labels and sticky residue. Simply cover the label with a layer of coconut oil. It needs to soak in for a minute or tow. Then wipe the label right off. If there’s any residue left just wipe it with a towel.
What is your favorite unusual use for coconut oil? I’d love to hear more fabulous ideas!