Mardi Gras is March 4, 2014 this year. Much later than normal which gives you plenty of time to cook up some yummy treats. One of my husband’s favorite snacks is homemade Chex Mix. I usually only make it for Christmas. This year I had to make some for my mom and dad because their kitchen was out of commission. Stan begged me to make a double batch so he didn’t have to share.
For Valentine’s Day i was planning to whip up a batch for his present but I ran out of time running around town getting things for teachers and putting together class valentines for my boys. Plus, this cold icy winter has really messed me up. So I thought I’d whip up a Mardi Gras batch instead. I wanted to make it festive so instead of the nuts I usually toss in, I used mini M&Ms and blueberry yogurt covered raisins. I thought it turned out so festive! Whip up a batch for your Fat Tuesday party or just for a yummy after school snack!
- 6 cups of Chex Mix (I used corn and rice chex mixed)
- 3 cups of pretzels
- 1½ cups of Blueberry yogurt covered raisins
- 1½ cups Mint M&M’s
- ½ Cup of Honey
- ½ Cup of butter, Melted
- Mix together Chex and pretzels in a large bowl.
- Melt butter and honey in a bowl. (don’t over melt them or the honey will start to crystalize)
- Pour mixture over Chex and pretzel mixture and stir it until completely coated.
- Spread mixture on a cookie sheet in a thin layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Stir ½ way through to be sure the top doesn’t burn.
- Let cool completely then remove the mix from the cookie sheet into a bowl
- Add the m&m’s and raisins and mix completely.
- Serve or store in an air tight container for later.