These Candy Corn Popcorn Balls are a great treat and take on a Halloween look by adding the candy corn. I am combining two treats that I LOVE to make the perfect Halloween Treat.
There are a couple of challenges to be aware of. Let the sugar mixture cool just a bit before pouring over you candy corn popcorn mixture, or your candy corn might start to melt because of the heat. This stuff is pretty hot, so be careful or you can end up with a bad burn. The other thing is to keep an eye on the thermometer. It will rapidly go from 250 up to 300, if you get distracted. This is the difference between hard ball and hard crack (peanut brittle).
Enough cautions about making them. They actually came out great. The two tastes work well together as long as your taste buds can take the sugar rush. These should have the kids fighting over them. They are very sweet, but what would you expect with all that sugar, corn syrup and candy corn. After all, Halloween is only once a year so you might as well indulge.
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1¼ cups Water
- ½ cup Corn Syrup
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- 1 cup Candy Corn
- 2 bag microwaved Popcorn
- Cook Microwave Popcorn per instructions and set aside.
- In a medium or large saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and vinegar.
- Cook over high heat until mixture reaches 250 degrees (hard ball) on a candy thermometer.
- Mix popped corn and candy corn on baking sheet.
- Pour mixture over popcorn mixture, tossing to coat.
- When mixture is cool enough to handle, press popcorn into 2 to 3 inch balls with lightly greased hands.
- Cool on waxed paper and serve or store in air tight container.
I hope you try these and let me know what you think. I think they are absolutely delicious!