I know there are lots of you out there that spend your afternoons on the sports fields. Watching your kids practice soccer, baseball, football and sometimes all three. You often spend hours when siblings have back-to-back practices. This makes dinnertime tough!
Due to our own crazy sports schedule, I’m on a quest to make easy on-the-go meals we can enjoy in the car, watching practice or wherever the day takes us. I’m challenging myself to skip the drive-thru this season and make my own fresh, delicious meals. My boys’ favorite on-the-go meals are Homemade Pizza Pockets. These are fabulous for so many reasons:
- You can make a big batch and freeze them for a quick bake-and-take option on really busy nights.
- Pizza Pockets are much easier to transport and keep hot than traditional sliced pizza but still have the same kid appeal.
- My favorite reason…When everything is enclosed in a crust and covered in cheese you can sneak in wholesome ingredients and your kids will never know!
Homemade Pizza Pockets are oh-so-easy to make. First you need a good pasta sauce. My personal favorite is Bertolli. It’s simple and delicious and comes in a variety of flavors. For Homemade Pizza Pockets I usually use the Tomato Basil or the Marinara. I think these Tuscan-Inspired sauces give kid-friendly pizza pockets a more sophisticated taste than using traditional pizza sauce. I love the bolder flavor because I’m usually eating them right alongside the kids.
Next you need your ingredients. This is a great way to use up whatever is in the fridge! This particular night I made straight up, pepperoni pizza pockets and added some mozzarella cheese and a little fresh basil from our garden.
Most of the time I’ll sneak in some diced bell peppers and even a few carrots with the pepperoni. Another favorite is spinach, mushroom and sundried tomato. Seriously delish and even my picky kids eat every bite. Get creative. Chances are if it’s wrapped in pizza crust and covered in cheese your kids will eat every bite and be none the wiser.
- Pizza Dough (I use the refrigerated, canned variety)
- Your Favorite Bertolli Pasta Sauce
- Mozzarella or Italian Blend Cheese
- Your Choice of Filling (Pepperoni, Mushroom, Italian Sausage, peppers, onions, etc.)
- Olive Oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Preheat over to 400.
- Take pizza dough and form golf-ball size balls.
- Using a floured surface, roll out the ball to make a circle.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon of Bertolli Pasta Sauce in the middle of the circle.
- Top with Pepperoni, Italian Sausage or your choice of topping.
- Add 2-3 Tablespoons of cheese.
- Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning ot fresh herbs.
- Carefully fold the circle in half so the sides meet to make a crescent.
- Seal edges. I like to use a fork to press the edges together.
- Brush surface with olive oil, butter or egg white.
- Cut steam holes at the top of each pocket.
- Transfer to greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes
Kroger is hosting a big Taste of Italy event right now featuring Bertolli products. Next time you pop into Kroger grab a jar of Bertolli and whip up a batch of Homemade Pizza Rolls for dinner. You’ll love the Tuscan-Inspired flavor and your kids will give you props for serving pizza. Whether you are on-the-go or sitting down as a family, these Homemade Pizza Pockets will disappear right before your eyes!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bertolli®. The opinions and text are all mine.