Do you have a bunch of truck loving kids? I know my boys love trucks. They point them out whenever we are driving and know most heavy machinery by name. A few weeks back we had a chance to tour an equipment rental yard and the boys were on cloud nine. But anytime they see trucks and equipment, they always ask the same question: When are we going back to Touch-a-Truck? You see, Touch-A-Truck is the highlight of their entire year!
This Saturday (5/9) will be the fourth Touch-a-Truck Event. Kids can see, touch and climb more than 20 different vehicles. They will have a fire truck, an ambulance, a recycling truck, police car and tons more. The area will literally be packed with big trucks. Kids can climb up in them, push the buttons, take pictures. I really can’t explain how cool it is. And when I say “push all the buttons” I really mean “push ALL the buttons.” One year the fire department forgot to disconnect their radio and one of the kids was just chatting away with dispatch.
My kids are most excited to see the big rig with the sleeper cab. I don’t think they’ve ever had a big rig with sleeper cab at the event before so we are pretty excited. The boys just can’t imagine that a man can sleep in a bed inside his truck. They talk about it daily. So if you’ve gone in years past, it’s definitely worth another trip because they always have something new!
- Touch-a-Truck is on the grounds of Camp Mabry this year. Adults, you need to bring your drivers license or other photo id. They require one for entry! Kids are okay.
- There is a 9am Early VIP Entry with breakfast provided. This is great for people who want to be very first in line! VIP Entry is $20 per person and there are a limited number of tickets available so it’s best to purchase those in advance.
- General Admission is $5 per person. These are available online here or at the gate. I would recommend buying online because the line for ticket holders is typically much shorter.
Touch-a-Truck will be hosted at Camp Mabry. I think this is a perfect venue because afterwards you can go check out the Texas Military Forces museum there and see even more awesome trucks. They have tanks, trucks, humvees, airplanes, helicopters and more! It’s a really neat museum and it’s totally free!
And if all this Touch-a-Truck awesome-ness wasn’t enough, it actually is for a good cause: Austin Children’s Services. Austin Children’s Services helps children in need by providing a safe home through emergency shelter care. They also offer community-based programs with a range of supports and services aimed at strengthening families and keeping children safe in their own homes. We love helping them! So big trucks + helping a great cause = totally awesome day!
2210 W 35th St
Austin, TX 78703
Hours: 10am-3pm with a VIP hour from 9-10am
- Parking: FREE
- $5 General Admission (per person)
- $20 VIP Admission (per person)
- Kids 12 months and younger are free