6 Reasons Why You Need Amazon Prime & How to Get it for Free
I asked in the SWS Holiday Survey how often and where you shop online. Nearly 95% of you said you shop at Amazon and more than 60% of you said you shop online a couple times a month or more.
So it sounds to me like you are shopping from Amazon pretty often and if you don’t have Amazon Prime, you are missing out! Amazon Prime is a great way to get all the best of what Amazon has to offer at an easy to swallow price of $99 per year. We signed up about 5 years ago and have never looked back.
Here are the 6 Reasons Why You Need Amazon Prime:
1. Free Two-Day Shipping – It sounds like most of you already shop Amazon. And if you don’t, you should. The savings are huge and you can find almost anything at the drop of a dime. However, one reason some folks choose not to is because of the shipping costs. Amazon Prime takes that out of the equation with free two day shipping. There is no minimum on this feature, so it alone in my opinion is worth the price of membership here. Buy a $10 DVD here and a $15 birthday present there. A handful of items over the course of a year and you have justified the annual fee.
2. One-Day Shipping Upgrade – Let’s face it. Sometimes you need an item and you need it fast. Like, the next day fast. With Amazon Prime, this is simple and cost effective. Just upgrade your free two-day shipping to one-day shipping for $3.99. The one-day shipping upgrade without Prime is $9.95 or more depending on the item. I think $3.99 is really reasonable to have the item on my doorstep the very next day. I’m also embarrassed to say, I’ve needed this feature more times than I care to admit.
3. Kindle Owner’s Lending Library – Love to read and own a Kindle? If so, you have the option as an Amazon Prime member to borrow books from the lending library. This means that you will save a ton of money on books and entertainment as well. New York Times Bestsellers and many other quality options are available. You can borrow one book from the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library each calendar month. You do need an actual Kindle to take advantage of this perk. Some books I borrowed and loved were The Hangman’s Daughter series and the Hunger Games series.
4. Amazon Instant Video – Here is where the savings start to truly multiply. Do you have a Netflix account or buy DVDs all the time? If so, you will save a ton here as well. Amazon Instant Video has over 41,000 television shows and movies to choose from at any time for free. This is yet another perk of having this wonderful program. We cancelled our Netflix subscription at $7.99 per month ($95 annual) in order to pay for our Prime account. Stream videos on Kindle Fire HD, as well as iPad, PS3, Xbox, Wii, Wii U, Roku, on hundreds of TVs, set-top boxes, Blu-ray players, and on the Web. Plus, all of your videos are stored in Your Video Library, so you can access them anywhere you go. We watched favorite TV show series like Downton Abbey and Sons of Anarchy. They recently stuck up a deal with HBO too. So you can stream many of your favorite HBO series for free!
5. Amazon Mom – If you are parents of small children, Amazon Mom will be a HUGE source of savings. Wet wipes, diapers and other items get special discounts under this program. You can save 20% off diaper, wipes and other baby items as an Amazon Mom member. They also have Amazon Mom sales with 20% off popular baby gear and accessories. I have saved hundreds being part of the Amazon Mom program. Amazon Mom is included with your Amazon Prime membership making it another reason why the program is worth the money.
6. Share with Your Family – You may share the free two-day shipping portion of your Prime membership with up to four family members. I shared mine with my mom and my mother-in-law. They get free two-day shipping without paying for a Prime Membership because I simply added them to my account. They don’t get all the other benefits I mentioned above but for someone who doesn’t shop often, this is a great little bonus to be able to offer someone.
Now that I sold you on Amazon Prime, I’m here to tell you how to get it for FREE! And who doesn’t love free!? There are FOUR ways you can get a FREE Amazon Prime subscription:
1. Amazon Student – Amazon Student is a free membership program created especially for college students. First time Amazon Student signups receive a FREE six month trial of Amazon Prime. After the initial 6 months, students get an annual subscription discount of 50% making the annual fee just $39. Students get most of the benefits listed above. You don’t get the Prime Instant Videos though. You can cancel at any time during the 6-month trial with no further obligation.
2. Amazon Mom – Amazon Mom is open to anyone, whether you’re a mom, dad, grandparent, or caretaker. New members are eligible for a FREE 3-month trial of Amazon Prime. After the initial 3 months, the price to continue is the regular $99 Prime Annual Fee. You can cancel at any time during the 3-month trial with no further obligation.
3. Amazon Prime Trial – First time Prime subscribers can get a FREE 30-day trial. This gives you plenty of time to test out the videos, movies, books and shipping options. Once you dive in and see all it has to offer, the chances are good that you will be thrilled and stay on board. If not, you can cancel at any time during the 30-day trial with no further obligation.
4. Get a Gift Subscription – While this isn’t completely free, it is free for you and I thought worth mentioning. You can request a Prime Gift Subscription. I know as an adult I have a hard time coming up with gift ideas for myself for Christmas and birthdays. A gift subscription of Prime would be a great gift request because you could use the benefits all year.
I encourage you to give Amazon Prime a second look and take advantage of all the great features it offers. I really think this is an excellent bang for your buck!