Yogurt isn’t just for breakfast! There are so many Unusual Uses for Yogurt you’ll be amazed at the possibilities. There are so many health and beauty benefits to using yogurt. And naturally occurring Acidophilus bacteria are some of the best anti-fungal agents around.
When using yogurt outside the kitchen, your best bet is to use a no sugar, plain yogurt and ensure that it contains live cultures. I like using Fage 0% Greek Yogurt but you can use any variety you choose.
1. Hair Conditioner – Yogurt is a great hair conditioner. Just take a container into the shower with you and work it into your wet hair. Let the yogurt sit for 10 to 15 minutes on your hair, then rinse. The cultures in the yogurt can help soothe an itchy scalp and combat dandruff. The yogurt will leave you hair smooth and shiny.
2. Hand Soak – Pair yogurt and honey to make a lovely hand soak for your hands. Just mix one tablespoon of honey into a cup of plain yogurt and rub it all over your hands. Allow your hands to remain in the mixture for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse it off for soft smooth hands.
3. Facial Mask – Yogurt is one of the best facial mask for your skin because it is very mild. Yogurt contains lactic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid. This is milder than other exfoliants but rejuvenates skin by tightening pores, cleanse skin and even skin tone.
4. Foot Scrub – One of our favorite foot scrubs is a yogurt/walnut blend. Mix in one-half cup of finely ground walnuts with 1 cup of yogurt. Scrub this mixture into your feet to relieve dry patches and calluses. The yogurt adds moisture and the walnuts help exfoliate rough spots.
5. Finger Paint – Here’s a fun one! If you love to finger paint with your kids but are concerned about kids eating it, simply add food coloring to plain yogurt and make your own paints. You don’t have to worry if kids ingest it and it’s just as fun as the real stuff!
6. Make Dog Treats – Yogurt is one of those foods that isn’t just great for humans. Yogurt is a great food for dogs too. Make some healthy dog treats for your pooch and let the kids help. We like this recipe from The Bark. One thing to keep in mind is that dogs are just like humans. Some don’t handle lactose well so check with your vet first if you’ve never tried yogurt with your pup.
7. Relieve Athlete’s Foot – One of the best natural remedies for athlete’s foot is a yogurt-based foot treatment. Apply yogurt to the affected areas of the foot. Wait for the yogurt to dry and then wash feet with warm water and dry completely. The Acidophilus bacteria found in the yogurt helps eliminate fungus.
8. Relieve Canker Sores – If you are suffering from painful canker sores, add yogurt to your diet. You might also apply the yogurt directly to the affected area and let it sit for a bit if possible. Similar to the way it relieves athlete’s foot, the Acidophilus bacteria found in the yogurt helps eliminate fungus causing the sores.
9. Soothe Sunburn Pain – Spread yogurt onto the affected skin in thick layers. You want to cover the entire area. Let the yogurt sit until it dries. Then wipe it off or rinse with cool water. Repeat as needed.
10. Sooth Diaper Rash – If your little one has a yeast-based diaper rash, yogurt is an excellent alternative to chemical-based diaper creams. Perfect for baby’s sensitive skin. Simply apply a thick layer of plain yogurt and completely cove the rash – just as you would with regular diaper rash cream.
What are your favorite unusual uses for yogurt? I’d love to hear more fabulous ideas!
Love these Unusual Uses for Yogurt? Be sure to check out some of the other Unusual Uses posts I’ve shared!
- Unusual Uses for Aluminum Foil
- Unusual Uses for Salt
- Unusual Uses for Toothpaste
- Unusual Uses for Rice
- Unusual Uses for Nail Polish